- Fertility Center
- Find a technique
One of the most common reasons for making an appointment at HC Fertility – The Fertility Centre in Marbella – is concern about the length of time it is taking to conceive. However often the worrying starts prematurely which can then in turn lead to a delay in falling pregnant.
So when should you start to be concerned about not getting pregnant? In general, when you have been having frequent sexual intercourse for a year and it still hasn’t happened. Bear in mind that getting pregnant straight away is not the norm. Couples with no fertility problems who have regular, unprotected sex, have a 20-30% chance of achieving pregnancy during each ovulation cycle.
Therefore around 85% of couples will conceive during the first year with 93% of couples being successful within the second year.
Probably not, you could be in the group of couples who take longer to conceive. However anxiety does not help the situation, if you are worried, the best thing to do is to see a specialist who can provide reassurance or start the process if there really is a problem.
Although traditionally fertility problems have been associated with women, the reality is otherwise, infertility affects men and women equally. Currently, around 800,000 Spanish couples suffer from fertility problems with the cause being attributed to the woman (30%), to both (25-30%) or to the man. In some cases, the cause may be unexplained.
In our experience, 80% of cases of female infertility are due to:
– Age: from age 35 fertility declines and after the age of 40 the chance of pregnancy is less than 10%.
– Tubal factors: due to some type of damage or obstruction in the Fallopian tubes.
– Endometriosis: when tissue from the uterus is found outside the uterus.
– Other risk factors: polycystic ovaries; sexually transmitted disease; chronic diseases such as diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, asthma and depression.
The very first step is to diagnose the cause of the problem. Nowadays medical advances have made it possible for women not to have to give up hope of becoming a mother. Artificial insemination techniques, in vitro fertilisation with own or donor eggs, egg vitrification and embryo preservation techniques are some of the alternative treatments available. At HC Fertility we will investigate your case and together we will select the most appropriate treatment.
It is very common for those who have difficulty conceiving a child to experience feelings of anxiety, loneliness and sadness, and to want to avoid friends or events where there are young children. The couple’s relationship can also suffer just from having to go through the assisted reproduction treatment.
• Emotional strength is a significant factor in the success of assisted reproduction treatment. It has been proven that the chance of treatment success is higher in women who are in good mental health, says Dr. Luis Miguel Garcia, Gynaecologist at HC Fertility – The Fertility Centre in Marbella.
• AT HC Fertility we have a Psychological Support Unit, with qualified professionals specialising in providing support. We also provide an environment which is comfortable, modern and stress free to help patients feel as relaxed as possible.
August 1, 2017
Read other news